Tuesday, August 25, 2009

God Hates Facts

The creationism museum is one of those things that makes me embarassed to be from Kentucky. Science may not have been my strongest subject in school but even I know that The Flinstones was just a cartoon. I've actually read the Bible all the way through and I don't recall seeing any mention of dinosaurs. Of course, I didn't see any mention of blacks being inferior either but that's what white southerners said for hundreds of years.

Okay, I'll grant you that there are a few verses saying that homosexuality is an abomination but so are eating shellfish and touching pigskin and I don't see all these people who believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible protesting outside Red Lobster or their local football game. The sad fact is that if they didn't consider a day 24 hours then the order that things are created in Genesis can pretty much coincide with evolution.

And how can you have a literal interpretation of the Bible in the first place? It's been through numerous translations over the centuries and it was man who originally wrote it down. You know it had to have been like that Monty Python movie where the guy hears, blessed are the cheesemakers.

If I didn't hold on to the belief that there's got to be something after we die, I could probably call myself a full out atheist instead of just an agnostic. All cultures have some kind of religion but after you get past do unto others as you would have them do unto you, it seems like it's mostly bullshit people came up with. I've always said that religion is kind of like sports, once you organize it, you pretty much ruin it.

So if you want to take your kids to see the cool animatronic dinosaurs that's fine. Just make sure that they understand it's an amusement park like Santa Claus Land in Indiana. The creationism museum has absolutely nothing to do with science.

No comments:

Post a Comment