Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Women's Equality Day

No Known Restrictions: Inez Milholland Boissevain for Women's Suffrage, 1913, George Grantham Bain Collection (LOC)
It’s hard to believe that my grandmother was almost 18 years old before women finally got the vote nationwide on August 26th 1920. I’m sure she wasn’t that thrilled about it though. She was one of those old school Southern Baptists who believed women should be silent in church and be a helper to their man. I guess that’s one of the things that turned me away from being a Baptist. Any church that says I can’t preach just because I don’t have a set of balls can kiss my ass.

My earliest memory of the women’s lib movement was seeing it on TV in the early seventies. I was around 4 or 5 and spouted off something I’d heard on some show about how women can do anything men can do to my dad and brother. They both looked at each other for a second and then burst out laughing. I still stand by that statement but I'd like to clarify a little. I realize that there are jobs such as fireman that are always going to be predominantly male because men have more upper body strength but I've met individual women who I'd bet money on in an arm wrestling match with any man around. Those women should have the right to hold any job they damn well please.

But I have to admit, even though there are still some assholes around, for the most part women are close to equality in this country today. I just hope in another 89 years people will be able to look back and say it's hard to believe that my grandfathers were almost 18 years old before gays finally got the right to marry nationwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment